Hartley is a 19th century village on the western edge of the Blue Mountains in a small tributary valley of the River Lett. It consists of 17 buildings of historic significance dating from the 1837 Greek Revival courthouse to the timber and iron Corneys Garage built in 1945. There are also a large number of portable artifacts and family histories.
The village is set amongst pastures, orchards, native vegetation and the remnants of 19th and 20th century cottage gardens. It was reserved as a historic site for the protection of a substantial and well-preserved remnant of one of the first rural settlements west of the Blue Mountains, one which played an essential role in the development of inland Australia.
Hartley is a popular place for picnics and day tours—guided tours are available, ask for details at the information centre. Tours for groups larger than 20 must be booked in advance, and staff can prepare special tours for school and interest groups given sufficient notice.
Hartley Historic Site is open every day (except Xmas Eve & Xmas Day) from 10:00am to 4:30pm.
Tours of the Court House are run on the hour at 10:00am, 11:00am, 12:00pm, 2:00pm and 3:00pm (a minimum of four people are required to conduct a tour).Email:
Parks and Wildlife Service or
Phone 61 2 6355 2117